So here’s the bogs as they looked earlier this spring. Basically they consisted of a bunch of kiddie pools randomly sunk into the ground. As mentioned in an earlier post, they were supposed to be a temporary thing after I got rid of my greenhouse. Well, they ended there much longer. This year was the year to “take the Sarracenia by the roots”, and finally build a more permanent and more visually appealing setup.
So here is the BEFORE
and here is the AFTER
Between the bogs are walkways for weeding. The ground was covered with weed mat to prevent things from growing then covered with a 5 or so cms of mulch. The large mulched are in the top left of the photo is where the huge block of cement was. As it turned out, I needed to add one more bog by the house as I ran out of space. The space where the block is actually is now serving an access point to three of the bogs for weeding and watering (if need by).
Now I just have to get rid of the pools that are filled with excess dirt and grass the areas in front of the gardens. All in all, I’m very happy with how these bogs turned out. The plants have much more space to grow, get more light and there is much less “open” area where weeds can colonize. This setup should be much easier to maintain.
Hopefully the plants will start to recover quickly and put a nice show this fall. I can’t wait to see these bogs in a couple of years…. I think they are going to be quite the show!