So my flytrap bog project was a complete success. Early this year, as a way to protect the traps from squirrels, I built a flytrap bog that I can cover with a mesh! All the plants I put into it did very well, including some new additions that I bought as tissue cultured plants.
In the above photo you can see purple ambush. These were deflasked in April of this year… and here they are now! AMAZING… next year, I think I’m going to have divide them up… like these maroon monsters below… (ya bad photo)
Below are couple of photos of some cool looking plants… some of these might make cultivar status. Many of my flytraps are “natural” hybrids of the clones I have outside in my bogs. I’ve got some young ones that look “orange”, we’ll have to see what they grow up into!
The one on the left, is my only B52, and I have to say its getting huge! It was half this size this spring… right now the traps are over 1 inch… and next year, I’m sure they’ll get even bigger… The plant itself is really beefy!
I met B52 (then called A1) at a greenhouse in the Chatahoochi (not spelled right, maybe not the right name) nature preserve in northern GA back in 2003. I met a chap named Henning vonSmelling. He was breeding flytraps for size and showed me his experiments. He had an “A” series and “B” series, and maybe others… I don’t remember. If memory serves me correctly, the biggest one was called clone A1. I saw many of its sisters and brothers, A2 , A3, etc. Many of them were huge too, but A1 took the prize!
Below on the right is a carpet of Green Dragons. I started with four of five of these years ago, and they just keep dividing! I must have fifty or so now!
another shot of the traps! As much as I love Sarracenia, I will alway have a place in my heart for the quintessential carnivorous plant… the venus flytrap!