Well day number of my bog “repotting” project happened today. Didn’t get as much done as hoped… but it is going smoothly. I want to give a big shout out to my dad who graciously donated the day to come and be my moral support, helper and chief cataloger! Thanks DAD!
Step one was to remove all the plants… Here is about 1/2 of them! Each back was labeled with the identity code of the specimen (again thanks Dad, my hands were filthy). Once all the plants were removed it was time to amend the media.
I then removed the top few inches of media, to remove weeds and other unwanted items that have taken root over the years. I dug down to the bottom of the bog to check the media, and surprisingly after 4 years, it still smelled quite fresh. Now to add new peat. I ended up adding two bales.
Once the peat was added, I carefully used a shovel to mix the new peat in with the old peat/sand. Dad then found that a “garden claw ” in my shed which made the job a lot easier. If you’re not sure what that is just google it… its a stick with tines on the bottom used to mix soil. Worked like charm.
I then added two 100 pound bags of silica sand, and again, using the garden claw and shovel, as well as my bare hands mixed up the top 15cm (6 inches) of soil.
Finally, it was time to replant. I took each specimen bag, divided off what I wanted to keep, cleaned it up by pulling off all the dead leaves, and gave it a good wash in a garden hose to clean off the old media and remove any weeds or debris. Lastly I removed any dead rhizome. Then, the plant was checked off on my catalog sheets and replanted. As you can see, its looking really sparce. I still have about 1/3 of my plant material to go through and replant… but it’s coming along!
Sadly, this garden is going to look like crap for the remainder of the summer, but hopefully things will improve in the fall… Still have two large beds to do and a third small one! Once this done… it’ll be good for another 4 or 5 years.