Another couple days of hard work… but I cleand out the my second bog garden. Again, big shout out to Dad who again, offered tremendous moral support, bagging skills, tag making and cataloging skills!
So here is the before photos of Bogs 2 & 3. Densely overgrown… well actually a downright mess. Many of the plants were not getting adequate light burried beneath masses of flava and other tall species.
Below is bog2 finished… and you can see bog3 in the background being strip mined of all vegetation. Oh, that red flava looking thing you see in bog3 is a flava ornata x flava atropurea cross. Amazing plant gets all red, with even redder (if that’s a word) veining! Really cool!
Here is a better photo of the plant removal process. Some of the clumps of oreophila were 40 – 50 cms across! Hence the shovel!
As you can see there is lot of weeds that need to be removed. As with bog2, I removed about 15cm of media. Again, I dug to the bottom, and the media smelled fresh all the way down… so I’m thinking I can easily wait 5 years or maybe even 6 before I do this again!
I imagine the reason the media is so fresh is that I don’t keep these bogs sopping wet. You can see the drainage spouts that are about 10cms down, this drains any excess water from heavy rains… however, I don’t water these bogs very often if at all. The soil remains moist but not waterlogged! I really think one of the biggest issues with new growers is they like to keep the plants too wet! The roots need air people! Too wet and they drown! Anyway, I get side tracked.
The plants removed!
So once the top media was removed… three bags of silica sand and 2 bales of peat moss were added and mixed into the old media, raked out and is now ready for replanting.
Now at this point, I learned a bit of lesson. It would have been better to wet the peat/sand at this point… granted it was somewhat damp as I mixed it into the wet stuff… but because it was mostly dry, I had to water it, and water it, over and over to get the media moist after I planted it
So here is the finished product.
and the same photo as the opening photo in this post, but of the bogs cleaned up
I know… it looks like crap… leaves mangled and laying all over! However, I think it important to leave the leaves (leave the leaves! – english is weird) on as they provide photosynthesis and food for the plant as it establishes. Once new leaves are produced, I will go through and clean these up!
The last step is to mulch! One to help keep in moisture in the heat of summer, but two, to help keep weeds at bay. So I’m going to pickup some UNTREATED cedar mulch… no colors, not composted, nothing… just plain old cedar mulch. I will spread this over the surface of the bogs.
Oh and just for fun, I took a photo of my flytrap bog in flower!